I have a confession. I’m a list maker. I make lists for anything and everything, most of all I make lists for when we travel. I find that by creating a list, I am more focused with my packing. I should have also mentioned, I am a terrible packer. I literally pull my closet apart and go through each item one by one to make sure I don’t miss anything important. My method needs work, but I like to think I have my travel lists down pat.
I wanted to list a few of my key organizing tips for packing, that I find super helpful. Also, I am excited to introduce my very first West 5th Love printable! As you may know my partner in crime and I run a shop over at Etsy. He is the brains in the operation as he creates and designs most of our designs, he has also made several sets and decorations for some of the parties we have thrown in the past. If you would like to see more of our Etsy work, head here!
Anyways, the printable I am sharing today is one that I have designed personally and I am hoping you’ll love it! If you are heading away on a trip soon or down the road, make sure to have this on hand! It is a totally FREE printable travel packing list, that not only covers all the basics it can also be customized to exactly what you need. Simply download the PDF below and get packing! Now on to my top ten tips for packing:
Top Ten Tips For Packing For Vacation
- Always Roll: One really important tip for packing clothes is to roll not fold! Rolling clothes not only is a great space saver it also keeps clothes crease free.
- Watch Your Weight: If you are flying by plane, I beg you to check the weight restrictions. I don’t know how many times it took me to remember to look up airline restrictions before flying. No one wants to be unpacking and moving things around at the check in desk.
- Pack With A List: We’ve already talked about how important it can be to pack with a list. It will not only keep you focused on the task, it will eliminate temptation to bring things you don’t need.
- Laundry Prep: No matter if your going on a 3 day trip or a 20 day trip, bring a small mesh bag for dirty laundry. This will be such a blessing when you arrive back home and your clothes are already sorted and ready to be washed.
- Dual Pack: When you are packing your clothes, try to pack 1 item of clothing for two events. Dark jeans can be used for a fancier night out and everyday outings, A sun dress for a bathing suit cover up and a nice dinner etc.
- Keep Valuables Close: I can’t stress this one enough: Jewelry, family air looms, money, passports etc. Pack it in your carry on. So many bags get lost or stolen on a regular basis, you’ll be thankful to have your important items close and safe.
- Bag it: Anything liquid that is going in your bag should be in a tightly closed container, that will not leak. I always pack all my liquids together in Ziploc bags, so if one leaks it will contain the mess.
- Bulk First: When you are ready to pack, start by packing large items (shoes, bulky sweaters, cosmetic bag) at the bottom. Then fit smaller rolled items in between to maximum space.
- Socks & Shoes: Shoes can take up a lot of room if not packed correctly. Pack shoes near the bottom and place the opposite ends of the shoes together. Also, when packing socks tuck them into the toes of your shoes.
- Foot Saver: I ALWAYS pack a pair of flip-flops regardless of where I’m going. They can be used in so many ways and in so many places and they make a great back up if you run into blisters or broken shoes. Also, they fit into the smallest part of the suitcase and don’t add much weight.
Click below to download you’re a copy of our Packing List Printable
I am so pleased to be able to share this printable with you, If you love it please share it!
What is your secret when it comes to packing for a trip?