This weekend we continued our string of recovering projects and tackled our living room ottoman. We have been stuck with an ottoman problem for a while now. We originally picked it up on Craigslist for $20 and in great condition. It has been well loved for almost a year and as you can see below my Instagram highlights how it doubles as a coffee table, dinner table, cat perch etc.
But as the time has gone on it has started to give into the elements of the house aka everyday life. It has holes on the top from cat claws and accidentally scratches from moving it around. So, it was decided that it was going to get recovered and hopefully it would all work out so we could avoid buying something new. Well, the process was fairly easy but we did stray away from our original plan.
We had planned on recovering the ottoman in full, top to bottom and we had bought the fabric to do so. Well, once we started to take it apart, we realized the bottom wasn’t in bad shape and it matched the fabric we picked out anyways. So we decided to forgo recovering the whole thing and just focused on the lid.
We started by un-hinging the lid and taking off any and all hardware that was attached to the liner. Once the hardware was off, we moved on to removing the lining by pulling up the staples.
This was the part where we had to make a quick decision: Leave the leather on or off? Looking at it once the lining was off, showed that some of the foam on the inside was already falling apart. So we decided it was best to keep it all contained and go over top of the leather with our new material. If we had decided to remove the leather we would have replaced the foam and put some more effort into firming it up.
Next, measure and cut your fabric. We chose suede as our fabric because we know it well and it is easy to work with. For this project, I would suggest giving yourself a little extra room to work with. That way if there are any mistakes or parts where you need more give, you’ll have it and you can always cut off the extra. Once you have your material set up, start stapling! A tip I read after we did this project was to do 4-6 staples on each side, leaving the corner areas till the end.
The one thing we found difficult was the corners. There are so many different ways you can fold and tuck it them, its really a personal preference as for how you choose to do them. We went with a simple 1 line corner fold, something similar to wrapping a present.
Once your happy with your fabric placement and stapling, it’s time to reattach hardware. My perfect handyman screwed the hinges back on and reattached the supports.
Besides a few loose corners, we were really happy with how this project turned out. It gave our ottoman new life and it saved us a ton of money, as we didn’t have to replace it! When we are using it for food, we use our wicker place mats to keep it clean and stain free.
It just so happened that we found the perfect tray for the inside of our ottoman at the thrift store. It was originally going to hang in our kitchen, as it has a chalkboard surface but it didn’t end up fitting. So it made a new home in our ottoman and does at great job of organizing our controllers and any other media storage we need.
All in all this project was easy to do and gave a nice refresh to a tired piece of furniture!